ARS Nellore - About Us
ARS, Nellore

The Agricultural Research Station, Nellore was originally established as Government Paddy Farm during 1937 at Buchireddipalem 15 km away from Nellore in the composite Madras state on leased lands to improve the local Molagolukulu paddy varieties under cultivation and later designated as Rice Research Station.  The Research Station was shifted to Nellore on permanent lands during 1961.  This station is functioning as a sub-center of the National Agricultural Research Project (NARP) from 21-8-1985 in Southern zone with zonal head quarters at Tirupati of Andhra Pradesh. Nellore is the lead center for Rice Research for southern Zone of AP.